Monday, July 14, 2014

What Challenges You?

April 5, 2014

Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert for forty days, to be tempted by the devil. Lk 4:1-2

Lent is often known as a season of “giving up.” Jesus suffered in the desert, He gave up food, water and had the devil on His shoulder promising an end to His suffering. We sympathize with Christ and we “give up” something for Lent. How often do you say to your Catholic neighbor “What are you giving up for Lent?” As I reread this Gospel verse I find myself not thinking about what to give up for Lent but rather my thoughts go to the challenge of not giving up to the devil and his temptations. Jesus challenged Himself by facing Satan one-on-one and I ask myself what challenges the devil sends me to tempt me to the road to ruin? I know he sends me brownies I shouldn’t eat, annoyances that I shouldn’t be angry at, and situations where I find myself alone and wondering what life and living is all about.

Every day we face challenges great and small. What devils do you have sitting on your shoulder? What challenges and temptations do you face? As we travel our Lenten journey we fast, pray and give alms. Let us also consider taking up a challenge. Let us face our demons. Let us this Lent resolve to take up the devil’s challenges one by one and say “no thanks”! This will not be easy and we may become discouraged…But remember, Jesus is walking with us Let us remember the words of St. Paul:

The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart. Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Rom 10:8,13

God Bless – Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment