Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Last Rose

December 15, 2013

The desert and the parched land will exult; the steppe will rejoice and bloom. They will bloom with abundant flowers, and rejoice with joyful song.’ Is 35

Beside my front door at my house there is a small rose bush. Every spring and summer it blossoms a gorgeous deep reddish-pink color. While in bloom I gaze upon it as I enter and leave my house and give thanks to God for such beauty. I have noticed that every autumn there is at least one late bloomer. This single rose will blossom and flourish almost as in defiance of the approaching cold of winter. I have always admired that one rose. It is as if God is saying to me, “Here is one last glimpse of summer for you to carry you over to spring!”

This autumn we once again had a late bloomer but I notice that this was one stubborn flower! Usually when the rose is off the bloom her petals will shrivel and drop to the ground, but not this rose. Every day the pinkish-red petals would get smaller and smaller but they would refuse to drop off despite the frosty mornings we have had. I got to thinking how like Advent! This weekend is the third weekend… the rosy pink weekend. The color of pink in the third week of Advent is give us hope in the darkness as we await for our Lord. My rose is giving me a pink color among the darkening of her leaves and giving me hope as I see her struggle to her hope of new life in the spring. This rose brings me hope and light in the darkness of the season. When you see the rose colored vestments this weekend and you light the third Advent candle think of my rose and wait in hope for the coming of our Lord. -God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment