Monday, July 14, 2014

The Labyrith- Part 1

June 15, 2014
  Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." Mark 6:31

This is my favorite piece of scripture to pray with at the beginning of summer! Jesus tells us to take ourselves out of our everyday busyness, find a quiet place and to simply rest because it is in the quiet of our surroundings and the stillness of our minds that we can truly hear God’s gentle whisperings to us.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a retreat house in Cohasset, on the edge of the ocean. When I am by the ocean I am closest to God and this is my favorite “deserted” place. On the shore of the retreat grounds, a prayer labyrinth is set up. When praying with a labyrinth one stands at the entrance, stills the mind and readies oneself to enter a conversation with God. As one walks to the center of the labyrinth and back, through many curves and twists one becomes aware of God’s presence.

 I stood at the entrance of the labyrinth, listening to the gentle lapping of the waves upon the shore and stilled my mind. I asked God guide me. As I walked I found myself focusing on the round stones that lined my path. God was talking to me through the stones. As I walked I thought how each of those stones represents someone who guided me on my faith journey and brought me to where I am today. Each of the stones was different in appearance, coloring, texture and size… just like all of us. I also got to thinking of the times when I have been a guide stone to others- helping and guiding someone else on their faith journey. God reminds me that we do not journey alone. We all take turns being the seeker in a labyrinth and being the labyrinth’s guide. Let us take time today to reflect upon those persons who have been our guides and pray for those whom we have guided… We never journey alone… God bless, Holly Clark!


PS- My journey into the Labyrinth will continue in next week’s blog. The Center of the Labyrinth holds revelations for those who journey with the Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment