Monday, July 14, 2014

Beattitudes of Acceptance

May 11, 2014


BEATITUDES OF ACCEPTANCE

Not too long ago I attended a workshop at Boston College entitled “Families With Disabilities” which explored our evangelization efforts toward persons with disabilities and their families. Nowadays our worship spaces are pretty much accessible but is it enough? Is it enough to just get into the door of the church? I came across these beatitudes not too long after the BC lecture and thought they were perfect! Building ramps and elevators are only part of the equation. Barriers of the mind and heart are more difficult to overcome. I invite you this week to pray with me these beatitudes and to pray for those persons and families who are separated from us due to impairment or illness…

·         Blessed are you who take time to listen to difficult speech, for you help me to know that if I persevere, I can be understood.

·         Blessed are you who walk with me in public places and ignore the stares of strangers, for in your friendship I feel good to be myself.

·         Blessed are you who never bid me to "hurry up" and, more blessed, you who do not snatch a task from my hands to do it for me, for often I need time rather than help.

·         Blessed are you who stand beside me as I enter new and untried ventures, for my uncertainty will be outweighed by the times I surprise you and me.

·         Blessed are you who ask for my help and realize my giftedness, for my greatest need is to be needed.

·         Blessed are you who help me with the graciousness of Christ, because I sometimes need the help for which I cannot ask.

·         Blessed are you who, in all ways, assure me that what makes me an individual is not my particular disability, but my beautiful God-filled personhood which no disabling condition can confine or define.

·         Rejoice and be glad, for you have helped me believe in myself as valued and gifted person and your understanding and love have opened doors for me to enjoy life to the fullest. (author unknown)   

God Bless… Holly Clark

PS… May God Bless all mothers and a special thanks to my Mom who embraced all of the above beatitudes. I am who I am because of the partnership of my Mom, Dad and Jesus working in harmony to make me the best “me” I can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment