Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Make Straight a Highway for God

December 1, 2013

 Welcome to Advent! Advent is a time of waiting… waiting in darkness, waiting in hope! I so love this time of year! I love the coolness in the air… the stillness of night… all of which brings me to prayer. During Advent we await not only the birth of Jesus but also His coming again in Glory… We wait in darkness and in hope.
 So often in Advent we hear the above phrase: “make straight a highway for God.” My advent challenge this year is to ponder ways to make strait a pathway for God. I was at a loss as to the best way to do this, and a bit overwhelmed, until I came across the cartoon below while reading a magazine. The question is asked “It’s a big nasty world out there- what does God expect ME to do?” The reply really struck home with me: “Make a little UN-nasty part of the world wherever you are!” I thought this is how I will make God’s highway for Him! I will try to make my little piece of the world un-nasty!
 I want you to take some time today and think about what makes you happy. What little things have given you joy? Was it the kind person who cleared snow off your car at the supermarket during a snowstorm? Was it the person who gave you hug when you most needed it? Was it the funny e-mail you received when you were grumpy? Or maybe someone told you that you make a difference in their life? Think about what little things give you joy and try to offer them to others, friends and strangers. Random acts of kindness and thoughtfulness are guaranteed to brighten someone’s day and make somebody else’s world a little less nasty.
 Jesus made straight our pathway to salvation and in turn we should make straight the path for His return to us. Let us pray for the little things in life that bring us joy. Let us each make a difference in one another’s life.   -God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment