Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Companions on the Journey


This is a reflection I wrote several years ago about another trip I took to the National Seashore:
     I spent a few days last week relaxing on the Cape Cod National Seashore… taking my own advice and taking time out of everyday life to just “be still” and “Be.” I unplugged myself from technology and media: no Internet, Facebook, e-mail, nor newspapers or tv. I survived, despite being tempted by a friend and the motel owner.

   One day, after spending the morning meditating by the seaside, I decided to head for the Beech Forest, a wooded area in the park with walking trails and picnic area. I thought I would go a little ways into the trail and find a quiet spot to journal for a little bit and return to my motel. As I paused to grab a map, three little geese surrounded me. I tried not to disturb them as I slipped quietly into the woods. A few minutes later I turned around and noticed the three little geese had followed me into the forest. I kept walking and they kept following. I decided to do the whole walking loop just to see how long they would stay with me.

    As I walked, the geese walked with me; when I’d pause to look at a flower or tree, they would pause. On two occasions, when I stopped they would tug at my pant leg to get going again. Sometimes they’d walk in front of me, sometimes, beside and sometimes behind me but always nearby. I thought of giving them names… Huey, Duey & Louey? Or Tom, Dick and Harry? None seemed right.
    The three little guys stayed with me for the whole ¾ mile loop. I plopped on a picnic table to rest and they sat down beside me. As I gazed at them in amazement I wondered if God had sent them to be companions on my journey. Oh! How like the Trinity they were! The Holy Trinity walks with us, sometimes ahead leading the way, sometimes beside us and sometimes lagging behind, to guard over us when we may stumble on the path, even gently nudging us along. The Trinity will stay with us on our whole journey in life… I will always remember my walk in the wood with my three little friends and I will thank God for reminding me that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are always with me and with you. . . –God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment