Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Shifting Sands


A couple of weeks ago I took a trip to the National Seashore on the outer Cape. One of my favorite places is the Marconi Wireless Station on Marconi Beach. The winter of 2013 pretty much erased the seascape and reshaped it anew. At first I was very disappointed that the area had changed so much but I spent some time praying and reflecting and some time writing: How much like life are the shifting sands…

As I walk the path I sense the change...
An emptiness looms on the horizon...
I walk and the sand shifts with each footstep.
Why, I ask, must things change?
The wind and tide have reshaped the sands... 
            and the landscape I fell in love with is no more.
I am mourning the loss but I ponder the parallel in life...
The person I was a few years ago no longer exists
           And I have changed for the better.
Then Why, O' Why do we mourn for what once was?

I see a family of 4 walking along and taking in the sights.
The 2 kids skip in the sand, mom and dad taking their pictures...
All oohing and ahhing over such stunning beauty.
They ask me if I have ever seen such beauty!
In their eyes I see anew... And ask myself what do they see?
They know not of the past beauty but yet they appreciate the beauty of today!
They see the presence of God in the dunes, forever re sculpting his works.

They hand me a camera, I take a picture...
                The dunes and the sea in the back.
A memory is made for them, and for me.
I take out my camera and snap a few pics...
The beauty of today, I capture...
I see not the past but the present, in a way not known before.
There is a softness and gentleness that radiates outward...
The ocean is soft, her waves gentle...
The sand is fine and the dunes pillow like...
The grass dots the dunes and softly sways with the breeze.
There is a different beauty here to go with the reshaped landscape.
I have changed and Marconi has changed... And all for the better. Thanking God, always.

God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment