Monday, July 6, 2009

Sharing My Story, Sharing My Life, Sharing My Faith

May 17, 2009
Setting Our Church on Fire!

Sharing My Story, Sharing My Life, Sharing My Faith
Last week I invited all adults to come and register for our Generations of Faith Program and I got to thinking that many of you may perceive Generations of Faith as being family oriented, centralized around the children and no room for adult learning. You may be thinking “I already did CCD, why should I go to GOF?” So I thought this week I would share my story, my life and my faith…

In 2004, I was asked to join the GOF team I was happy to be sharing my time and talent but when our first festival rolled around I had not planned on attending. I was a single adult, no kids, no hubby…I thought would feel out of place. Mary Gallagher, our Pastoral Associate at the time, persuaded me to go and just try it out… even if just to see the fruits of our labor. The night of the festival I entered the front door and immediately saw that the Holy Spirit was at work! We had a good crowd and to my surprise I did not feel out of place… I felt like I belonged! I overcame my shyness and joined the adult session. I had not realized how much I didn’t know about my faith! I have attended every festival since.

Last year, during our Peace festivals, I had an experience that I can only describe as a calling. I was undergoing radiation therapy for cancer at the time and was mentally and physically exhausted. I still went to the festival because I find the festivals to be very life-giving spiritually. I was helping a little boy get a drink of water when I felt the Holy Spirit’s presence in my ear. A voice came to me telling me that I was meant to be here, I was meant to be a co-worker in the Lord’s vineyard. For a time I pondered the meaning of this experience. I knew my calling was to make ministry my vocation and entered the Master of Arts of Ministry program at St. John’s Seminary.

I feel this week that I have come full circle in my GOF experience. I just read Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us: A Pastoral Plan for Adult Faith Formation. This 10 year-old document by the US bishops outlines the need for centering our faith formation efforts around adults so that they in turn may educate themselves, their children and our fellow travelers on the journey of faith… GOF IS FOR ADULTS TOO! Come and set your hearts burning with the light and love Christ.

Again, I invite you all to come today to our Faith Formation registration and see what it is all about!
---God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment