Monday, July 6, 2009

Breaking Open the Word

October 26, 2008
Breaking Open the Word
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" Ps 119:105

The Vatican II Council encourages all Catholics to participate in breaking open the Word. This can be rather daunting at first. After all there are so many books… where to start? Last week I suggested that we start with the daily and Sunday readings. As you begin to read the Bible you will find the people of those times and their stories are not so different from our stories today!

I am learning about Sacred Scripture and prayer in a course I am taking. As an assignment I was asked to read the daily readings every day, select one to concentrate on and jot down my thoughts in a prayer journal. At first I thought what on earth am I going to write about… I’d never done this before. So I picked up the Bible and dived in. Rather than trying to concentrate and guess as to what the scripture was trying to teach me, I just let my feelings flow and let the Holy Spirit take over my thoughts and my pen. Soon I found myself truly looking forward to my daily scripture readings and writing in my prayer journal. It is not always easy to find the time and it will take a while to get used to putting pen to paper in this manner. There may even be an occasion or two where you may feel there just isn’t anything to say, which is okay too. Not every scripture reading will strike you, but the key is to start reading and let the Holy Spirit take you where God wants you to be. –Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment