Monday, July 6, 2009

Giving Thanks

November 23, 2008
Giving Thanks
A dear friend of mine, in an e-mail, suggested that I take some time this month for some “holy remembering.” As we approach Thanksgiving I find myself looking back at the last year and what an awesome year it was! I have so much to be thankful for… thankful to family, friends and God… all played an important role for me these past months.

In October of 2007, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer. A cancer diagnosis in any stage is frightening, I had always been a private person but knew I couldn’t walk this journey alone. I am so thankful to my friends, family and the Sacred Heart/St. Rose faith community. Through you all I learned the awesome power of prayer. I could not have made it without the prayers of others buoying me up.

I am thankful for the many volunteers who came forward to help. I was deeply touched by the generosity shown… I am thankful for all who kept me in their prayers, for all who gave moral support, for all who helped in the office, getting the bulletin out, answering phones etc. There are so many to thank … I do want to especially mention the person who took over the Baptism class I was supposed to teach (only after she volunteered did I find out she had just broken her ankle and had to crawl up the steps of the Shea Center!).

It is through this dark journey of illness that I found the light of Christ shining through. I found Christ everywhere… in my friends and family, in parishioners I’ve never met before, in the medical professionals I dealt with and in the faces of my fellow cancer survivors. I did at first ask God “Why me?” and then I met a 3 year old little boy at radiation therapy who had already been through chemo and I changed the question to “Why him?” and I prayed for him instead of myself. I then counted my blessings.

I have come to realize that in our personal life’s journey it is the struggle and how we deal with life that is important. This Thanksgiving take some time to do some holy remembering. Look for God in both the bad times and good times. You will find that Christ has been with you right along. Have a blessed Thanksgiving, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment