Monday, July 6, 2009

Doodles and Scribbles: Praying with Art

July 5, 2009

Setting Our Hearts Aflame!

Doodles and Scribbles:
Praying with Art

I recently attended a day retreat called Sacred Images-Contemplation and Art. This retreat introduced me to methods of meditation based upon various traditions and simple art exercises. We explored how to pray with images that were created by others and created by ourselves. You do not need to be an artist to pray with and through art.

I often find myself doodling and as I explore my spirituality I come to realize that this may be one more method God uses to communicate to me, and through my created art I can share my revelations with others. Outlined below are some ideas on how you can also pray with art:

With eyes closed make gestures on a blank piece of paper with some dark drawing instrument as if you were dancing on paper.
What shapes or figures appear? Complete the sketch in color and detail.
Play with contrasting lines, shapes, and textures.
Pick colors you like and notice how you feel when you draw with them.
Draw or paint to music.
Create a mandala. This is a circle that represents wholeness in you. It could be abstract or realistic.
Record in a prayer journal your experiences and insights.

The next time you find yourself mindlessly doodling try asking yourself if there is something God is trying to tell you. God speaks to us in many ways but we do not always hear nor do we listen.

This summer let us be more attentive to God’s voice. Take time out to quiet your mind and start listening... and you will encounter God everywhere. God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment