Thursday, May 24, 2012

Be Filled With the Holy Spirit!


Be Filled With the Holy Spirit!


When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled,
they were all in one place together.
And suddenly there came from the sky
a noise like a strong driving wind,
and it filled the entire house in which they were.
Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire,
which parted and came to rest on each one of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit
and began to speak in different tongues,
as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim. Acts 2:1-4

Whenever I read this passage I find myself going back in time. I picture myself as one of those who gathered in the upper room. I ask myself, would I have been frightened by the noise of the strong wind, the flames above our heads and suddenly be speaking in tongues? Picture yourself there… in the upper room… are you afraid? Or are you feeling joy within the love of God? Coming back to today, have you ever felt filled by the Holy Spirit in your lives?

The Holy Spirit comes to us in many shapes and forms- not always in the likeness of wind and flames. The Spirit can come from deep within, from high above and through the people we meet. I have experienced the Holy Spirit in all these ways. My first experience in being filled by the Spirit was in December of 2007. I was at Rhode Island Hospital, awaiting a medical procedure that was running late. I was in the waiting area, alone, nervously watching out the window as a freak blizzard was forming. Suddenly, I felt a rush of warmth and joy pulse through me. I had no reason at all to feel happy at that moment, but yet I did! I felt there was a divine presence next to me, hugging me- telling me all is well. I felt I was briefly at one with the Holy Spirit.

Since then I have felt and seen the Holy Spirit all around me: at Mass, at Religious Ed registration, at school, with my family and friends, and in each of you. We all have a tongue of flame hovering over our heads. Invite the Holy Spirit into your open heart and mind. Be filled with the Holy Spirit—You’ll never regret it!

God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment