Wednesday, November 24, 2010

O Come Emmanuel

O Come Emmanuel... Come...

Just before Thanksgiving I tried to do some Christmas shopping and found myself wandering the stores and asking myself “Where is God amidst all of this chaos?” As I looked around me I found very little that advertised the coming of Jesus. I saw fruitcakes, gaudy holiday sweaters, mountains of electronics that said “Buy Me!” I kept wandering around the store feeling empty inside. I left buying nothing for Christmas. I kept thinking about the reason for the season, our Savior’s coming.

The next time I went out shopping I started thinking of all the “stuff” being pushed on us as the creches and manger decor gets shoved aside... history seems to repeat itself. Mary and Joseph went from inn to inn only to find “no vacancy” signs posted everywhere. Jesus was about to come and there was no room for Him then either! I decided then to start looking for Jesus in the wilderness we call the “mall.”

As I entered the shopping mecca I hummed to myself the song “O Come Emmanuel.” The name Emmanuel means “God is with us.” So as I walked around I kept thinking God is here... He is not in all the material items we see and buy, nor in stuff we receive but He is present in each the faces we see and in the hearts of all we meet. We don’t always see Jesus easily and sometimes He even seems hidden from our sight, but He is always with us. We need open our eyes to His awesome works, open our ears to hear His Word, and open our hearts to His endless love for us.
I invite you to look for Jesus in the mall, in the people you see, and in your own hearts. This Christmas, as you receive Christmas cards and before you put them away, take the time to gaze at each one and pray for the sender and ask what aspect of the Christmas story does this card emphasize ? Perhaps it is peace, joy, or love. Or maybe it is Mary’s youth, Joseph’s strength or the light of baby Jesus. Please take the time today and throughout the Christmas season to ponder the true meaning of Christmas. Hug your loved ones and open your hearts to God. -- God bless you all -- Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment