Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Have You Lost Someone?

November 7

Have You Lost Someone?
They can no longer die, for they are like angels;and they are the children of God.Lk 20:36

Today at the 11 o’clock Mass in Middleborough, and the 9 o’clock Mass in Rochester, we celebrate our annual Mass of Remembrance. At this Mass we remember all those who have gone before us, in particular persons who have passed away this past year. Coming together to remember loved ones can have a healing effect on those who mourn.

In today’s Gospel Jesus tells His disciples that people no longer die for they are like angels and are like the children of God. Very often at Mass we hear of “Jesus’ victory over death” and of “life everlasting.” Death has no more power over us. When we pass from this life we are welcomed into Jesus’ loving arms in Heaven. It is difficult for those left behind to ever think life could be the same again… and it won’t be. But we need to find a new connection with our loved one in a spiritual sense. Our loved one has joined the communion of saints and we can still pray with them, talk to them and feel their energy.

Last August, I lost my dad. Life would not, could not ever be the same again. But I found the strength to grieve what was lost. My Dad was someone who was always happy and would try to brighten the day of everyone he came in contact with. I can feel his presence still. With Jesus, help, he is still at my side, giving me encouragement to not be sad, to pursue my studies in ministry and to be the person I was meant to be. It was work to get through the pain, but I managed to find a way to have Dad with me spiritually all of the time. Just as we converse and connect with the famous saints we can connect with our departed loved ones. Death has no power over us.

This month let us remember our dearly departed. Go to a comfy chair, relax, close your eyes and picture your loved one. Is there something you would like to ask them or tell them? Picture your loved one next to you on one side and Jesus on the other. Draw on their strength to get you through difficult times. They are always at your side.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment