Friday, September 28, 2012

Sunset Alert


Sunset Alert!
In my “previous life” as a medical technologist I worked in a hospital chemistry lab that was in a glass building. We were on the fourth floor with a wonderful view of the western sky. As the days grew shorter, and sunset occurred closer to 4:30-5:00 pm, very often someone in the lab would shout out “SUNSET ALERT!” At that point we would all stop working and congregate to the west side of the lab. We’d all make a special effort and take a few moments to silently admire God’s handiwork. No matter what our differences, faiths, stress levels at the moment, we’d come together for a few moments of peace, solitude, and camaraderie. These times were very special to me.

I find a sunset one of God’s most awesome works of nature. For me they always seem to come when I am in most need of cheering up or de-stressing. Who could remain upset or stressed after gazing at the pinks and oranges of a sunset?

The other day I was musing that sunsets remind me of Jesus’ resurrection. Daylight “dies” and a glorious colorful sky is born. About two years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and when I underwent radiation therapy. I was totally exhausted mentally and physically. As I was driving along one day, during this period, I came across a beautiful sky, full of color, and silhouetted against the panorama was a church steeple and cross. I knew God was speaking to me. He was giving me hope and letting me know that I could lay down my troubles at His feet and he would bear the burden for me.

As we travel through life let us pause at beautiful sunsets and shout out “Sunset Alert” to those around us so that all may partake of God’s wonder.    God Bless, Holly Clark

 

No comments:

Post a Comment