Wednesday, January 19, 2011

From Earth to God or God to Earth?

January 23, 2010

From Earth to God or God to Earth?

Last Friday, at about 4:30 p.m., I walked out of the office to go home. Very often God blesses me with a beautiful sunset. On this day the sunset was subtly pink at the horizon, pretty but not overly spectacular. As I travelled to my car something caught my eye. On the horizon the pink had grown in the sky a bit and in the center of the horizon was a single column of hot reddish pink jetting straight up from the ground to the sky, no other streaks of color except for this one column headed straight to the heavens. I drove home a different way so I could stay focused on this beam of light and as I drove along I observed many people pausing, with cell cameras in hand, to observe and praise God’s handiwork.

At the time I was reminded of the old Batman series when a beam of light directed at the moon would summon Batman. As I looked up at the sky I half expected to see a big “G” or perhaps a “J” at the end of the column of light as we summon God and Jesus to our aid. While the column of light seemed to be coming from the earth to God I think more likely God was directing the light from above. It is God trying to get our attention through the beauty of the evening sky. God is reminding us that He sent His light down to earth in His Son, Jesus.

As I read today’s Gospel, Matthew states, “…the people who sit in darkness have seen a great light…” (Mt 4:16) I know I am no longer sitting in darkness for I have seen a great light. We do not always see the Light of Christ. Sometimes it is hidden and we have to look for it but at other times (as through sunsets) it plops right in front of your face! This week let us no longer sit in darkness. Let us look for the Light of Christ in the sky, on the earth and in one another.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment