Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Put Away the Old Self

July 7, 2013

For a few years now I have been praying with the daily readings and journaling my thoughts into a prayer journal/blog online. As I look back into my journal, I see certain patterns of thought that repeat throughout my life. This particular scripture verse, and similar verses, seem to come to me quite often

 …you should put away the old self of your former way of life,… and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new self… Eph 4:22, 23-24

 I have often wrestled with this. I wonder as I enter a new self in Christ how much of my former way of life I should get rid of and what should I keep? It is difficult to look at one’s self in the mirror and try to see what is keeping you back from freely following Jesus and being open to the Spirit. Only through conversation with God will we be able to discover our new and true selves:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not. -Proverbs 3:5

 As I reflect on these verses, I realize too that the same thoughts could also be applied to our parishes. As we enter into collaboratives we are constantly looking in the mirror. We ask God what do we need to do and change, as a parish, to be able to become a new self a new parish and collaborative bringing new life into our hearts: We will trust in the LORD!

God bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment