Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Go and Make Disciples

June 30, 2013

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
Holy Spirit,… Mt 28:19
 
As we move forward in the pastoral plan, Disciples in Mission
I find this Gospel passage running through my head. Here is a
summary statement about one of our first duties as
Christians: evangelization. About 20 years ago the United
States Conference of Catholic Bishops put together a
document on evangelization called Go and Make Disciples
based on this scripture passage.
 
The first goal presented in the document is:
To bring about in all Catholics such an enthusiasm for
their faith that, in living their faith in Jesus, they freely
share it with others… ( G&MD # 89)
 
As I attend Masses at all three locations of our collaborative I
try to sit in varying places (praying I am not “taking”
somebody’s pew!) to get different perspectives on who likes to
sit in the back, or front or middle. I look around me at your
different faces, and wonder what brought you here, today, to
this Mass. And I wonder where your faith journey is bringing
you. As I look into your faces I try to look for the enthusiasm
for the faith. If we are not enthusiastic at Mass then how can
we expect to inspire and evangelize others outside of Mass, in
our homes, workplaces, and wherever we are gathered with
others?
 
Now that summer is here and busy schedules are easing up let
us take some time and think about how we can find within
ourselves the spirit and fire of Pentecost. Let us rekindle our
inner flame and let us share that enthusiasm with the people
we meet. Let us show our joy in Jesus. Let us start evangelizing
and telling the world the Good News of Christ. – God Bless,
Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment