Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Our Beloved Dead

The month of November has traditionally been reserved for remembering all of our beloved dead. Here at Sacred Heart and St. Rose we offer Masses of Remembrance where we remember those who have had funerals here and elsewhere in the past year and offer special prayers for them and their families and friends. In my position I often take the initial phone call from a funeral home, or sometimes a family, and as I take down the information I ask myself what this person was like, who were they and how are their families coping. And I say a little prayer, when I get off the phone, for the deceased and their families. As loved ones come into my office to arrange the funeral liturgy with the priest I am able to give words of comfort and am reminded of the words of Jesus: “Blessed are they who mourn; they shall be consoled.” By virtue of our Baptism we are all called to console all those who are grieving.*

The Ministry of Consolation begins with the parish community. We offer our love and strength to those who have lost their love and strength. We offer our prayers to those who have lost their voice or perhaps cannot see or hear our Lord. And we share own experiences of grief and faith so that no one has to journey alone. Jesus is with us on the journey, but you and I are His ears and voice, His bridge to the bereaved.

This month I will be remembering your deceased loved ones in prayer and I will pray that the Lord brings you comfort in your grief journey. My own Father is with Jesus now and when I hear of a death I like to think of Dad up there greeting them along side of St. Peter.

—God Bless all who mourn, Holly Clark
*Source: Console One Another, Rev. Terence P. Curley

No comments:

Post a Comment