Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mary, Mother of God



The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known the message that had been told them about this child. All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds. And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart. Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, just as it had been told to them.LK 2:16-21

Whenever I read the above Gospel selection I find myself reflecting on Mary and what kind of person she may have been. I see Mary as a strong person but yet gentle and reflective. Mary was given a choice to be the Mother of God, she could have said no… but she didn’t! She said Yes! Mary knew that Joseph, her potential husband, could abandon her and she would be an outcast, if not put to death. Mary could not have predicted what it would be like to raise the Son of God--- but she said Yes! Can you picture yourself saying Yes to such an unknown journey? Can you imagine how Mary felt when even the shepherds, strangers to her, were telling her that she was the Mother of God? Mary kept all these things, reflecting upon them in her heart. What faith and trust in God she must have had!






There have been times in my life when I have been afraid to take the road less travelled. It is safe and secure to never think about taking chances… I often turn to Mary when I know I have a decision to make. I sit in the pew and gaze upon our statue of Mary… I look into her eyes and see the warm glow of love she has for the Babe in her arms. I can almost hear Mary telling me, challenging me, to take everything into my heart, reflect upon my heart and then with Her Son’s guidance act upon my heart. Sometimes that might mean taking the path that is not safe, secure and a known destination. Imagine where we would be if Mary said No to the angel?






Take everything into your heart and reflect upon them. Hear God’s voice and find your path. The destination may be unknown but with the Father, Son, Holy Spirit and the Mother of God at your side, you know your journey will be an interesting one!
Blessings on the New Year, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment