Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Counting Blessings



A while ago I read a book called 14,000 Things to be Happy About by Barbara Ann Kipfer. This was a book that just simply listed 14,000 reasons to be happy, such as: new babies, a well-crafted chair, having a sense of your own space, a real person answering the phone, autumn leaves, family, friends, etc. I took out a highlighter and highlighted all the items that I was happy and thankful for. I found myself highlighting more items than not. While I did not highlight radish spread, the buzz of a bumble bee or full body stockings [don’t you dare picture me in one!]… I discovered so much that I was happy about and thankful for. It is the little everyday things that we take for granted…

I pick up this book every now and again and discover new blessings to be thankful for and I now read it in the light of faith. St. Augustine challenges us to question our realities and examine what we are thankful for. St. Augustine asks “Who made them if not the Beautiful One?” As I look over what I have to happy about I give full credit to our Father in Heaven. It is God who created us, gave us our creativity to paint, invent, observe the universe and is ultimately responsible for everything we touch, hear, taste, see and create. This Thanksgiving Day, perhaps after dinner, see if you and your family could come up with at least a hundred little (and big!) things and persons to be happy about and then give thanks to God`. Today I will be remembering all of the little things in life that I am grateful for and thanking God for allowing me 14,000 plus things to be happy about.



God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment