Monday, October 3, 2011

Where Two or Three are Gathered



For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” MT 18:20

Recently I have been romping through our medical system, spending some time in medical waiting rooms, waiting for appointments and tests. I usually bring something to read or browse through the magazines to find the most mundane articles ever printed. But lately my mind was elsewhere… In each of these waiting rooms I was thinking two or three are gathered here and I asked myself where would Jesus be in this room? In a pre-op area, would he be comforting the person about to undergo neurosurgery for a brain tumor or maybe the elderly gentleman who needs knee surgery or is he talking to the older woman with the black pants with hot pink purses emblazoned on them? (She told me the wild pants help to cheer her up before surgery.) I looked into the faces of all those around me and wondered what brought each of them there. I could feel Jesus’ presence in the room, beside me, helping me to focus on praying for the health and well being of those around me. I found that as I focused my prayers on others my own medical issues seemed much lighter. I knew I didn’t have cancer or dire medical issue. As I listened to various conversations while waiting for my turn to be called I tried to silently give strength to those around me. When I was finally called up for my turn in the O.R., I found myself uplifted for there were “two or three” or more gathered in the surgical suite and I knew Jesus was there.

This month, when you find yourself in a group, take a few minutes to pray for those around you. Not everyone is Christian, of course, but Jesus is there for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment