Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Autumn- Part I



When I was a child, in school, we were “forced” to memorize poems. At the time I never understood why… but this particular poem, Trees by Joyce Kilmer, has always stuck with me. As a child I could not understand the simplicity and beauty of what Kilmer was trying to say. Every autumn I think of this poem as I reflect upon the fact that “only God can make a tree.” Here in New England we are so blessed to have the seasons that fully express themselves in nature, especially in trees.

This week, as we “mourn” the ending of summer and begin to appreciate the show God is about to give in the splendor of fall foliage let us reflect upon the fact that only God can make a tree, a flower, the sun set, the moon rise, etc. Let us reflect upon Kilmer’s poem and thank God for his gift of nature. (and I will also thank God for the English teacher who made me memorize this poem!) God Bless, Holy Clark

TREES
Joyce Kilmer

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment