Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Do You Pray For?

What Do You Pray For?

Last Tuesday morning I woke up and looked out the window and saw that it was snowing, yet again, and the ground was slushy/icy/slippery. We had just been blessed with a couple of nice days with plenty of sunshine and blue skies and I prayed for a very early spring. As I trudged to my car, trying not to slip in slush, I wondered whether praying for an early spring was perhaps a selfish prayer on my part. I had a conversation with someone a few weeks ago whose family had come across some hard times, but…, they owned a snowplow. Because of all the snow they are able to keep afloat. So, of course, they are praying for a very late spring!

How often do we pray for something, which if granted, may cause hardship to someone else? My praying for early spring will help me, and others afraid of falling on ice, etc. but what about those who depend on the extra income: snow plowers, neighborhood kids shoveling, etc.? I pondered this for quite some time. How do I pray for what may be selfish but necessary needs? What do you think? After much thought, and more prayer (!) I decided to pray for an early spring for myself but added to that a prayer to God to watch over those who need extra income. We can pray for our needs and the needs of others and let God figure it out!

This month, let us examine our prayers and ask if God were to answer them, how would his decision affect others? Let us pray for our needs and remember others’ needs at the same time and know that God sent Jesus to be always at our side, in good times and bad.

God Bless, Holly Clark

2 comments:

  1. just love this can I print and use at my Church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure can! I write these for my church bulletin and would be honored for you to use in your Church... Please post me as author in the reprint:

    Holly Clark
    Pastoral Assistant
    Sacred Heart Parish
    Middleborough, Mass.

    ReplyDelete