Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Seeing Christ


Seeing Christ

Chaos and mayhem… floods, earthquakes… murder, starvation… war… sadness… Looking at the daily news everyday can be very depressing. You read world and local news everyday and it seems as if our world is falling apart. You may find yourself asking “Where is Joy? Where is God? Where is our Savior?” Sometimes I feel very overwhelmed by humanity’s state of affairs. When I get depressed I remember a quote I once heard from a nun: “We live in a time of Spirit-filled chaos?” Spirit-filled chaos? We need to remember that Christ is always with us in the middle of our chaotic world. Very often He is working silently and it is up to each of us to actively seek Christ working amongst us. The hard part is we are so often caught up in our own lives to see much beyond our own space.

Where do you find Christ working in your life and in the world? This past month I have tried to find Christ as we battle our winter woes. And… I have found Christ everywhere! He is often a silent, but efficient worker! I have found Christ in my neighbors who helped shovel and snow-blow our walkways, and in our parishioners who call in to make donations to the food pantry and in a group of kids who will be diving into icy waters to raise money and awareness for those in need. I see Christ in my friends and co-workers who sense when I need a hug or a shoulder to lean on. I see Christ in my family who are with me through the good times and bad.

More recently I found Christ at work in the three Generations of Faith Festivals I attended. I facilitate three of our adult groups and the time spent sharing my faith with other adults and aiding them in their own faith journey, has been priceless to me. Christ said “wherever two or more are gathered you will find Me.” How true! When I facilitate a GoF session I am so buoyed by the love of Christ I find in each of the adults! At GoF I also see the face of Christ in our children. They show such enthusiasm for the faith and learning about Jesus. At the end of our last session a little 6 year-old girl came up to me, hands still in a prayer position as we had just finished our Lord’s Prayer, looked straight into my eyes and said, “Thank you.” I didn’t quite know what specifically she was thanking me for but it really didn’t matter. I looked into her face and saw the face of Christ.

This week I challenge you to seek out Christ in others. Examine where Christ has been at work in your lives and lastly examine how you can be Christ to others. Spring is coming and it is time to come out of winter darkness and chaos and go seek the light of Christ.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment