Friday, December 7, 2012

Imaginative Prayer in Advent


Praying through Advent:
 Imaginative Prayer

A few weeks ago we were expecting Hurricane Sandy to hit our region hard. I prepared myself by stocking up on flashlights, batteries, and some spiritual reading. I was very prepared to be sitting in the dark with a little reading light and found myself actually wanting the electricity to go out! I was craving the stillness and peace darkness can bring. I was going to use the time to pray, to be with God, to contemplate my life and where God is in my life. Unfortunately my electricity stayed on and I never got to sit with God that day. Lucky for me Advent is here! Advent is a time of waiting in darkness for the light of Christ to come to pierce the darkness. It is a time of praying and watching. How do you pray?

            Today’s Gospel reading lends itself easily to a form of Contemplative prayer known as Imaginative Prayer: Read over Luke 21:25-28, 34-36. Imagine yourself part of the scene… Imagine you are at Jesus’ side, one of His disciples, and He is telling you about the signs in the sun, moon and stars- the signs that will come before He comes again in Glory… You may be frightened but Jesus tells you to be vigilant and to pray for strength.to overcome fear and anxiety. Is there anything in your life right now that makes you fearful? Are you facing troubled times and need strength? Read over the text a few times… still your mind and ask Jesus for what you need to get through until He comes again.

Take advantage of the Holy Season of Advent. Stay away from the Malls and busyness of the season. Look forward to the darkness of early winter to be with God. Look forward to the Light that will pierce the darkness.      God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment