Thursday, August 4, 2011

God is Passing By!



…the LORD will be passing by… 1 Kings 19:11

So often in the Old Testament God makes himself known in very dramatic ways, a thunderous voice, burning bushes, raining down manna from heaven. In today’s Old Testament reading the LORD speaks to Elijah and tells him to be on the look out for another message from the LORD. Elijah stands by in a cave entrance and starts looking for the Lord in the gusty wind, in an earthquake and finally in a fire. Surely the mighty Lord would give him an unequivocal, obvious sign of his presence. But alas, the Lord was not to be found amidst all the drama. Elijah was looking and listening in the wrong places. He should have been paying attention to the gentle whispers of nature, for the Lord was there.
How often do we beg God for signs? Signs that we are on the right road, the right path? How often do we look at a disaster and think God is teaching us a lesson? The other day I sat on my back deck, closed my eyes and prayed to God for guidance. I kept asking him for signs, signs that I am on the right path. Like Elijah I’d been looking in the wrong places. A gentle breeze came across me and I could hear the gentle rustling of leaves and a bird was tweeting in the background… I mused to myself that God was answering me… in the gentle undertones of a cool breeze and in the chirping of birds. God’s speaks to us where we are at although we are always looking for God in the wrong places! God is in nature, in our fellow man and in our hearts.
This week take some time to slow down… close your eyes and ask God for what you need, or for what others need, God will soon be passing by your home in the whispers of the wind. He is listening… take the time to hear his voice speaking to your heart.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment