Monday, July 25, 2011

Separating the Good from the Bad

Last week I sat down and opened up the readings for today to reflect upon as I prepared to write this weekend’s column. I found the clip art to the right that corresponds to today’s Gospel from Matthew 13 and my mind began to wander as I thought about my current projects: clearing out “stuff” (and more stuff!) from my closets, file cabinets, desk etc. I’d pick up something and ask myself why on earth did I buy this? Did I really ever need it? I started separating my stuff into keep, toss and “give to Thrift Shop”.

As I try to refocus on the Gospel, I am realizing my desire to clear out my stuff has more to do with my faith than my desire to get more space in my closets and drawers. At various times in our lives we purchase and procure things to “make us happy” only to find out in the long run they do not. Jesus tells us to rid ourselves of possessions and we will be freer to follow Him. It seems contradictory, but in today’s Gospel the merchant actively finds and keeps a pearl, the farmer a field of treasure and fishermen seemingly fishing to excess… all to find something priceless. When Jesus asks “Do you understand?” the disciples say yes but I say no! I don’t understand.

My mind starts to wander again back to all my cleaning out efforts and I start pondering why now? Why do I wish to clean out my life? I suddenly had an “AHA” moment… The pearl of today’s Gospel is my faith! As I have explored more deeper into my faith and found the love of Jesus, the strength of the Father and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I no longer need as much “stuff” to keep me happy. I am like the merchant who has found a great pearl--- the pearl of great price is my faith. I will gladly give away all that I have to keep my faith in our Lord and hope in the kingdom of heaven.

This week let us remember those who seek happiness in possessions and pray that they will find a great pearl. Let us also remember and pray for those who have nothing, not even the basic necessities and lastly, let us pray for ourselves to rid ourselves of what keeps us away from the love of our Lord.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment