Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Psalm of Love...

The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
you restore my strength.
You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for
you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life;
I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.
Psalm 23

So often when I hear the 23rd Psalm I think instantly of funerals because it is a popular psalm for funerals, providing much comfort to grieving loved ones. Today, however, as I look at the psalm, I realize that it is a psalm to be cherished at all times of our life, not just the sad times. Psalm 23 is actually a Psalm of Love between God and His children and between us and God. Psalms can be used as prayers in good times and bad. They can be prayed in praise of God and thankfulness or they can be used to help pull us out of the depths of despair. You will find a psalm to fit every emotion imaginable!

Today, take some time to meditate upon this psalm. Get in a comfy chair and prayerfully read Psalm 23. Imagine yourself in a green pasture with a gentle stream flowing next to you… hear the birds chirp and the wind in the trees… Close your eyes and feel God’s presence. Picture Jesus sitting beside you… enjoying the scenery and your company. Consider sharing with Jesus what is going on in your life… ask Him for what you may need. Or, maybe you would like to just sit with Jesus, quietly enjoying the silence. As you end your meditation, keep repeating to yourself, “Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life.” And then thank God for His great love.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment