Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Where is your Heart and Mind?


Even now, says the LORD, return to me
with your whole heart… -Joel 2:12

The first reading for Ash Wednesday, from Joel, asks us to return to the LORD with our whole heart. As we begin Lent we are beginning a new program called “Catholics Come Home.” We are inviting those who have drifted away from the Catholic faith to come celebrate and share our faith once again. I ask you to examine your hearts and try to recall a time when you were separated from your faith and remember what it was that brought you back. Was it an invitation from a friend, a kindly welcoming smile from a parishioner or perhaps you were in a crisis and the Church helped you overcome grief or economic hardship? In my early adulthood (seems like eons ago) I had drifted away and what brought me back was my love of music. A new choir was forming and though I had no idea even if I could sing, I joined after hearing God’s invitation. From that point on, 19 years ago, I started an incredible journey, arm-in-arm with the Lord.

On Ash Wednesday, and throughout Lent and Triduum, we will meet many people who have drifted away from the faith. How will you welcome them home? Will we be upset because they “took my pew” or will we smile warmly and say a silent prayer for them. Will we welcome them with open hearts and minds? St. Paul tells us that “We are ambassadors for Christ…” (2 Cor 5:20). How will we carry out this awesome task? Open your hearts! Open your minds! Open up a highway to God that all may travel!

I am looking forward to this Lent and Triduum as opportunities arise to show our love for one another with the Lord. I look forward to seeing new people and welcoming them to the Sacred Heart and St. Rose faith communities. I look forward to shouting “Alleluia! He is risen!” at Easter-time with our new family members. Only together can we build our highway to God.
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment