Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What Do You Seek?

July 25
What Do You Seek?
A couple of weekends ago, I was vacationing on Cape Cod and while I did not plan much to do ahead of time I did a bit of research as to where I wanted to attend Mass on the weekend. I selected St. Peter the Apostle Church in Provincetown.

I arrived early to acquaint myself with the church and admire the stained glassed windows, which were all images of Jesus and the sea, calming the storms and winds and saving fishermen from certain doom. As I meditated, I quietly observed the parishioners walking in, mostly older and elderly… I wondered where all the young tourists were… the streets of P-town are usually packed with young people and families! Where were they?

I found myself praying for one elderly, frail woman in particular. She arrived, with a walker, at the Church with family (also elderly) and traversed the stone aisle with some difficulty, teetering with every step. I kept thinking she was going to fall with each footfall, thus killing herself on the stone floor. She went past my pew and took a seat halfway up the church nearly falling into the pew. I found myself inspired by her dedication. She was so longing to hear God’s Word and to take part in the Eucharist that she took her life into her hands by walking the stone aisle.

Fr. Richard Crowley, in his “From the Pastor’s Desk” column in today’s bulletin, states that when we miss Mass, especially for long periods of time, we “lose the visual and social impact of worshipping with fellow believers and being inspired by the example of one another.” I was truly inspired by the example of this woman, her love of Jesus and her desire to be with her fellow worshippers.

Today’s Gospel states “seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (Luke 11:9) So I ask you, what do you seek? And I challenge you when traveling to “knock” on the local church door and be prepared to be inspired! –God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment