Thursday, March 11, 2010

Same Kind of Different as Me...

February 28, 2010

Same Kind of Different as Me…
This past week Fr. Dan Crowley gave me the following article for the bulletin. I felt called by the Spirit to share with you and some of my own thoughts at the end:

Blowing Your Horn
Patrick Henry Hughes attends the University of Louisville where he plays trumpet in their marching band. Patrick, born with natural musical ability, also came into the world with no eyes and a tightening of the joints that has crippled him for life. Blind and wheelchair-bound, Patrick and his father, who “rolls and rotates his son around the field,” never miss a band practice or a half-time performance. Patrick’s father also attends all of his classes, working the graveyard shift at UPS in order to do so. “We might not play baseball, but we can play music together,” his father proudly proclaims.


Placed in a wheelchair at a young age and fitted with artificial eyes, Patrick discovered his gifted musical ability at the piano before he reached the age of one. His mother could hit any note on the piano and within a few tries, Hughes would be able to match it. At the age of two, he could play requests.

When Mac Anderson, founder of Simple Truths and Successories, Inc., heard Patrick and his father at a conference, he knew he had found a hero to inspire others and chose Patrick’s story as the introduction to his book Learning to Dance in the Rain. Although hearing Patrick’s story was inspirational, seeing him play was an experience of energy and enthusiasm that lit up the stage, permeating the entire theatre with joy and an “attitude of gratitude.”
God made me blind and unable to walk. Big Deal! He gave me the ability... the musical gifts I have… and the great opportunity to meet new people.” Patrick allowed his life to be transformed and by doing so, transforms all those who come into his presence and hear his story. Jesus allowed his body and life to be transformed in order that his followers could continue the transformation after he was gone. This is the Lenten challenge, the Lenten call— transform your lives. - Dr. Constance M. Popp


I was very moved by this article and found myself identifying with much. I have often been asked by children why I have limited fingers and a different looking appearance. I often tell them it is because God made me different. God gave me limited fingers and toes (big deal!) but he gave me the ability to write and the great opportunity to meet you all and serve you in the ministry of our Lord. This Lent Let us invite special people into our lives… Let us be transformed with joy and love… Let us celebrate our differences… and… you may find that we are all different… the same kind of different as me.

God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment