Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gifts of Hope and Prayer

Jan. 17, 2010

The Gifts of Hope and Prayer

Last Wednesday morning I awoke to hear about the devastating earthquake in Haiti. My thoughts immediately went to three Haitian friends of mine who have close family members in Haiti. One of these friends I had just seen the night before. As I think of it, we were conversing and laughing at about the same time as the earthquake. Life is so very fragile and we never know what may come.

Today I count my blessings and as I read today’s passage from Corinthians I ask myself: “What gifts do I have to share with the people of Haiti? How can I help alleviate the suffering and pain of those mourning loved ones? How can we help rebuild?” How will you help? What will you do?

Through our Baptism, God gave us the gift of Christ and, in turn, Christ gave us the gift of hope. God never promised us happiness but he did give us Christ so that we all may be saved. Christ taught us how to live in hope, help those in need and how to pray. Today I would ask you to examine your gifts, talents, worldly goods and consider how to give of yourself to the Haitian people. You may sit back and think that you have nothing special to offer… but you do… your hope and your prayers. Sending contributions is great but also consider saying a prayer for Haiti for each penny or dollar you may send. Imagine how many prayers that would add up to all together! Let us join together this week to pray for my three friends’ families and all those living in Haiti. Let us freely share our gifts of hope and prayer. Let us use our gifts and go forward in hope and love to build a better world. God Bless- Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment