Monday, July 18, 2011

At Rock Bottom



Despair is contrary to God's goodness
CCC #2091

A few weeks ago I was watching the tide go out and gazing out at the exposed rocks musing that this was probably the origin of phrase “hitting rock bottom.” I saw all the exposed rocks, cracked and worn from the elements and passage of time. I got up from my beach chair and decided to take a walk “at rock bottom.” There have been times in my life that I have been at rock bottom and full of despair as I am sure we all can identify with. We look to the Cross for our hope but we can also find hope surrounding us in the form of nature and each other.

As I walked among the seemingly barren rocky shoreline I started to look for signs of life and little treasures that may have been hidden by the sea. In the little tidal pools I found sea-life that couldn’t exist without the ebb and flow of the tides. I found little seashells, now devoid of life but bringing me happiness in their dainty forms and shapes. I found little fish, temporarily safe from predators and little bits of polished stone… polished by the sea over centuries or eons. I got to musing what a perfect balance there is in nature.

Keeping the now rising tide in mind I continued my walk and found an awesome little spot that was full of rocks, but water had collected in the indentations and the sun was hitting the wet stones and water to give me a dazzling array of God’s handiwork. A beautiful ballet of water, stone, light and life danced before my eyes. I paused and gave thanks to God. I thought perhaps life at “rock bottom” isn’t so bad after all and when faced with times of despair we should take a walk and explore rock bottom a bit and we will find life, and God, again. Always remember, too, Jesus’ humanly life hit rock bottom when He was nailed to the cross… and look what He gave us… new life… new hope… and so much more…
God Bless, Holly Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment